It’s true for any sailor – the more you know about your vessel, the better.
You can learn a lot about your charter vessel before you even leave home, so try these resources and do a little homework. This stands for all charter types, even if you are hiring a professional skipper.
Use the benefit of The Charter App – browse through the App in great details:
- Look at the Video Briefings (learn the locations of important valves, switches, safety equipment, and other items you will need aboard)
- Review the Vessel info (know your boat; the depths, instruments, safety gear, equipment…)
- Familiarize yourself with the vessel Inventory – for faster and more accurate Check-in/out
- Review Checklists (reminders for every occasion)
- And other helpful and useful modules.
Review your Charter Company website – see what your charter company has available online.
The Yacht Manufacturer resources – if you chartered a reasonably standard production boat (e.g. Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Elan…) you’ll have lots of online data. Manufacturer’s websites proudly display photos, layouts, and specs of their latest models.
The boat-trader websites are excellent places to research new and older boats. Realize that the specs will include add-on equipment (electronics, generators) which may or may not be on your charter boat.
Electronics Vendors – suppose your charter boat is equipped with Raymarine electronics. Check the Raymarine Owner’s Manuals site and browse or download the content!
Bareboat Charter materials – search and educate yourself online, especially if this is your first time being a Skipper, Mate, or Crew.
Follow The Charter App notifications before and during chartering.
Offer an App to your crew members *but don’t offer your custom/booking link to non-attendees.